This story is about…
Name: Kristie Kennedy
Location: United States
Industry: Public Speaking
What motivated you to start your business?
Initially, in 1999 I was laid off from my place of employment due to a budget cut. It was at this time that I realized that all of my financial income could not be tied up in a single entity.
Tell us about your business…
At the heart of my business is women’s empowerment. It is my single focus to catapult female entrepreneurial leaders from a place of mediocrity into bold and magnificent living. I provide motivation, inspiration and empowerment tools to reinforce their new identity as a headlining act and not an extra on standby waiting in the wings of obscurity.
What were the first few steps you took to get your business up and running?
1. Decided to move into the unknown while clearly focused on creating financial security for my future.
2. Filing a fictitious name at that time.
3. Designing a business card to make it official.
4. Developing my first product.
5. Introducing it to the marketplace starting with family and friends.
What has been the most effective way of raising awareness of your business and getting new customers?
Guerilla marketing, blog writing, radio and television interviews, and live demonstrations.
What have been your biggest challenges so far with running your business?
The enormity of a growing vision with limited human capital.
How did you overcome these challenges?
I began to cultivate partnerships and hire independent contractors as needed.
What do you love about running your own business?
The freedom to create something that never before existed and watch it grow into something greater than I imagined.
What advice would you give to other business owners?
– Examine daily productivity killers and enhancers.
– Develop an insatiable appetite for learning new skills and business practices.
– Explore alternative methods for performing a task in order to operate with greater efficiency and effectiveness.
How do you keep motivated through difficult times?
I surround myself with positive-minded individuals and intake words of affirmation buried in my library of books.
What’s your favourite quote?
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Who inspires you?
Those who dare, who do and who believe. My mother is at the heart of my passion for empowering women.
Do you have a business philosophy?
The greatest in the kingdom are those who serve. It is my aim to serve others with all my heart.