(You can watch the video version below)
One of my favourite quotes has always been “Don’t compare your Chapter 1 to someone else’s Chapter 20”.
And being a few chapters into my entrepreneurial journey now, I see so many people get stuck on their own Chapter 1 because they’re too scared to create a crappy first draft of their work.
When it comes to our business, so many of us expect perfection from the very beginning. But you wouldn’t expect to sit at a piano and play like Chopin from day 1!
So why do we put this kind of pressure on ourselves and hold ourselves back from becoming creators, even if it’s messy to begin with?
A few days ago I came across a box full of things I had created in the really early days when I first started FEA and it really took me back to that time.
I wanted to share what I found in these boxes with you because so many times, when we scroll through social media, listen to podcasts or watch videos online, we base our comparison on those carefully selected highlight reels.
But we rarely get to see the journey that got people there, or the struggles behind the scenes.
So in this episode I share with you:
- The crappy first draft I ever created of my now bestselling book, She Means Business (I had no idea what I was doing and none of the content ever even made it into the actual book!).
- The first inspirational quote wall prints I ever created for myself.
- The one thing that keeps most entrepreneurs stuck in ideas mode (and how to get out of it!)
- How to dive into the creation process (even if it’s really crappy to begin with!).
- How to move on and improve from that crappy first draft.
- A journal entry I wrote years ago, which eventually made it into my book.
I hope this episode serves to show you that everyone starts out from Chapter 1. No one has it all figured out from the get-go, so don’t pressure yourself into the pursuit of perfection, just become the creator!
If you’re ready to create your crappy first draft, make sure you let me know in the comments below so that we can cheer you on!
And if you want to turn your dreams and ideas into a wildly successful business, make sure you become an FEA Insider! You’ll be the first to hear about new episodes, exclusive content and latest news.